Sunday, October 13, 2013

October 13th, 2013 email

Mom and Dad,
Last p-day wasn't very eventful since you're required to spend your time packing if you're being transferred.
Tuesday was disappointing because we had planned to meet with and teach quite a number of people, but almost none of them were home. We ended up spending a good amount of time knocking on doors.
Wednesday: We spent the afternoon meeting and teaching some investigators, and visiting ones we hadn't seen in a while. It was interesting, because when they said that they were looking forward to seeing us again we had to mention that I'd be leaving (the very next morning). In the evening, we went to visit a less-active family who are still faithful, they just don't go to church. The father had stopped us outside the grocery store to ask how some of the members were doing and he explained he was less-active. We've gone to visit them a couple times to see if they'd be interested in coming back to church. This time the father was home and we talked to the mother. Here's the 'eat pavement' part of the story: a neighborhood we have to pass through to get to their house is literally one giant hill and this family lives at the top of the hill. When we were leaving and going back down the hill, we passed a little road that goes off to left. There was another guy on the bike who emerged from that light, but from my angle I couldn't see his light until he was turning up-hill. All I could do was hit the brakes and try not to hit him. We weren't going super-fast down the hill because we're always told that speeding is the number one cause of wrecks. I managed not to hit him, but the bike's tires have practically no traction so I ended up sliding sideways and being thrown forward into the asphalt. I hit the road pretty hard and slid along for a short distance and ended up halfway in one of the rain chasms. My first thought was along the lines of "I don't feel injured or brain damaged...okay, stand up." Surprisingly, I actually wasn't hurt too bad. My left palm and right elbow got chewed up a bit, and my right ankle is pretty swollen, but miraculously perfectly fine. Missionaries really do have God's protection--though that's no reason to do stupid things. In fact, my helmet had hit the ground pretty hard but my head and neck are fine, and there's not a single crack or scratch on my helmet. Oh, I also managed to bend the front wheel to the point where I had to disengage the front brake so it could spin. I feel really bad for the guy that has to ride it now. There is a best part: we had a dinner appointment at the branch president's house. When they saw me they freaked out and took me into the bathroom and cleaned me up, even though I had literally just done that at a 7 Eleven. Bogedahl Choro got a pretty funny picture of them scrubbing dirt and a bit of blood off my shirt, and putting bandages on me.
Thursday was transfer day and I was in Kitarokko before noon. Because of general conference, I've already met a lot of the people in the ward. One: this is a ward of 120! Two: Kitarokko ward has the dendo fire. They are super great with the missionaries. I've already been fed 4 times or so and we have another appointment tonight!
General conference was spectacular, as usual. We didn't have any investigator's attend, but Bogedahl Choro told me over the phone they had a few that came. Oh, on Saturday, President Monson was wearing a tie almost identical to the red-square one I have! Sweet!
So yeah, that was pretty much my week. We just got back from being taken to an all-you-can-eat (tabehodai) yakiniku restaurant. It's seriously sooo good. When you come to Japan, you have to have yakiniku.
Kitarokko isn't in the same district as Kobe, but it is in the same zone. My new companion is Hiratsuka Choro.
Which talks did I like most? All of them, of course, but President Uchtdorf always has a knack for being number 1 in my book.
That's all I have for this week! I hope everyone has a great week. Everything here is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment